What versions of Maven, Java, and Ubuntu are you running? I would run `mvn
--version` to see what it tells you. You want Java 8 and Maven 3.5+. Maybe if
you have a really old Maven version you could be getting those kinds of errors,
but I’m not sure.

Regarding the `work` directory, that is the directory that `mvn hpi:run` uses
as JENKINS_HOME when running a plugin. You don’t need to install Jenkins or run
it directly at all when working on plugins, since it will be handled
automatically in that local directory, although there should not be any
conflicts if you do have it running or installed other than needing to specify
a different port when running `mvn hpi:run` if you want to run them
simultaneously.