I am afraid my immediate reaction to both this and the Artifactory
REST plugin proposal is that we would be better off without such
plugins. As an “emeritus maintainer” of `workflow-cps` I can say that
this kind of feature is rather risky and prone to weird bugs, and
would burden efforts to produce an alternate execution engine. Writing
an external script (in Python or whatever) is much more reliable and
testable:

withCredentials([string(credentialsId: 'other-jenkins-api-token',
variable: 'TOKEN')]) {
  sh 'python jenkins-tricks.py'
}

Pipeline steps should (a) have simple, databinding-compatible input
types and ideally only primitive/`String` output types; (b) be limited
to features which involve interacting directly with the host Jenkins
service in a way that would be impractical to simulate otherwise.