> Besides not existing?

So you are really saying that Jenkins needs a new type of execution engine
in order to support plugins that return non-simple data.
This is way beyond my level of expertise. Has anything been attempted or
discussed in that area?

> If you are limiting yourself to Scripted,
> then any return values should still be simple data like primitives,
> `String`s, `List`s, or `Map`s.

Is the requirement asking for Serializable?
I am confused by Lists and Maps which are collections (sort of nested).
I looked at the Step Javadoc
<https://javadoc.jenkins.io/plugin/workflow-step-api/org/jenkinsci/plugins/workflow/steps/Step.html>
and Step API Documentation
<https://github.com/jenkinsci/workflow-step-api-plugin> but could not find
that information.
Is the list of data types that are supported documented?

Lastly, I remember when I converted the http request plugin to pipeline, I
created a response object returning only simple data types
<https://github.com/jenkinsci/http-request-plugin/blob/master/src/main/java/jenkins/plugins/http_request/ResponseContentSupplier.java#L32>,
I guess that is what you mean we should do.

BR,
Martin