As mentioned in previous threads, I am proposing to get

https://github.com/jenkinsci/jenkins/pull/4848
https://github.com/jenkinsci/jenkins/pull/4944

into trunk soon, since 2.263 was accepted as an LTS baseline so we
have the maximum number of weeklies available to iron out any issues
before the next line is cut. Would like to get some code reviews; yes
I know the Spring one is a pretty big diff, and includes some tricky
code changes, though a lot of it is routine search-and-replace stuff.
The XStream PR is a more modest diff, though still with a large
impact.

The other crucial request is for maintainers and power users of
potentially affected plugins to look over the compatibility tables

https://github.com/jenkinsci/jep/blob/master/jep/227/compatibility.adoc
https://github.com/jenkinsci/jep/blob/master/jep/228/compatibility.adoc

I have done my best to offer fixes for all widely used plugins, but
there is more to be done:

If you are a plugin maintainer, please check if there is a PR for your
plugin listed in either chart, and if so review, merge, _and release_
that PR in advance so users can have a smooth upgrade experience. (Or
if the PR does not look right, contact me of course!)

If you are a power user of a plugin which is shown as being currently
incompatible, please help verify that any proposed fixes are safe to
apply with current versions of Jenkins and (ideally) also work as
expected with the proposed patched version¹ of Jenkins; and consider
adopting an orphaned plugin if only to perform emergency releases. For
example, installation statistics claim there are a fair number of
people running Reverse Proxy Auth as a security realm, but it is going
to flat-out break (throwing errors, no login possible) unless somebody
merges & releases

https://github.com/jenkinsci/reverse-proxy-auth-plugin/pull/40

yet there is currently no active maintainer.

¹Prior to an actual merge of the core PR, you can download preview
builds, linked from the *Incrementals* status of the PR; most recent
available as of this writing:

https://repo.jenkins-ci.org/incrementals/org/jenkins-ci/main/jenkins-war/2.264-rc30680.a82950864304/jenkins-war-2.264-rc30680.a82950864304.war
(JEP-227)
https://repo.jenkins-ci.org/incrementals/org/jenkins-ci/main/jenkins-war/2.264-rc30542.af44d4186663/jenkins-war-2.264-rc30542.af44d4186663.war
(JEP-228)

The same is true of plugin PRs in most cases, for example

https://repo.jenkins-ci.org/incrementals/org/jenkins-ci/plugins/email-ext/2.77-rc1331.63266610ebc4/email-ext-2.77-rc1331.63266610ebc4.hpi

which can be downloaded & installed manually in the *Advanced* tab. If
you are missing a downloadable build of some PR, mention @jglick in
the PR.