I am definitely opposed to trying to continue to “support” 8 if and
when we use 11 as a baseline for core. Let us be clear about what we
require and test against, so that we do not have a combinatorial
explosion of platforms. Plugins can be switched to run 11 in CI over
the course of a few months, and upgraded to `-source 11` as soon as
they decide to pick a new `jenkins.version`. (There is a bit of
infrastructure work needed for all this.)

Basing decisions on what portion of users currently run on 11 seems
circular. The interesting question is what portion of users _cannot_
run 11, for example due to some corporate mandate, and so would
actually refuse to upgrade Jenkins. This is harder to measure, of
course, but we can try.

I do not _think_ there is any problem running an agent on 11 while the
controller is on 8, or vice-versa, but it bears testing.

Last I tried using 11, there was still a lot of polish missing. The
agent printed a bunch of warnings about use of JDK internal classes.
IMO we should not be promoting use of a 9+ version until we can be
assured that no such warnings are printed when using testable features
of core or common plugins, perhaps by running `plugin-compat-tester`
and `acceptance-test-harness` with a JVM flag to turn on strict mode.
(JEP-228 means we are now on a version of XStream which at least
claims to get this right!)

Note that AdoptOpenJDK intends to support Java 8 for considerably
_longer_ than 11. And we should be at least testing against newer
versions including previews of 17 when they become available, lest we
move to 11 just as it is becoming obsolete.