On Thu, Jun 10, 2021 at 11:28 AM Tim Jacomb <timjaco...@gmail.com> wrote:

> It would be good to see a more recent report given we’re on version 9 in core
> to see if anything has changed in recent versions

Great point, Tim. Core 2.273 shipped with ASM 5.0.3, prior to the
upgrade of JNR (and therefore the accidental upgrade of ASM) in 2.274.
Here are the differences between ASM 5.0.3 and ASM 9.1:

https://diff.revapi.org/?groupId=org.ow2.asm&artifactId=asm&old=5.0.3&new=9.1
https://diff.revapi.org/?groupId=org.ow2.asm&artifactId=asm-analysis&old=5.0.3&new=9.1
https://diff.revapi.org/?groupId=org.ow2.asm&artifactId=asm-commons&old=5.0.3&new=9.1
https://diff.revapi.org/?groupId=org.ow2.asm&artifactId=asm-tree&old=5.0.3&new=9.1
https://diff.revapi.org/?groupId=org.ow2.asm&artifactId=asm-util&old=5.0.3&new=9.1

The library seems quite stable between 5.0.3 and 9.1. Apart from new
classes and the addition of generics, nothing seems to have been
removed or renamed. (Similarly, recent versions of Guava are more
stable than older versions.)

In any case, I doubt we would roll back the JNR changes made in 2.274
at this point. For better or for worse, ASM 9.1 is here to stay as
part of the core API, so we might as well own it in the short term.
(In the long term, removing or hiding Guice/JNR and therefore
Guava/ASM would be nice, of course.)