On 2012-04-11 21:47, Sami Tikka wrote:
Probably not. AFAIK there is no way to tell git "this branch is now
ready and merged and it will never again receive new commits and it
can be deleted"

It is always possible to checkout an old branch and add new commits to it.

If you are concerned about the large number of branches in the central
repository, you could tell each developer they are allowed to have
only 1 branch in there. A developer would always need to merge the
feature branch he is working on to his own branch on the central repo.

OTOH I'm not sure why the large number of branches would be a problem?
Can you explain it?

I really can't. We are just now starting up with git. Going from CVS to git is sort of like going from Visual Basic to C++ and I worry that we are going to get our feet shot off. Well, I worried. This quote calmed me down :-)

"It is easy to shoot your foot off with git,
but also easy to revert to a previous foot and merge it with your current leg."

—Jack William Bell

Thanks for your help,

Thomas