I viewed it in exactly the opposite direction.  If using a freely available,
easily installed external program allows the plugin to be implemented faster
and cleaner and simpler, then I'd rather have it implemented sooner with the
external program.  I suspect that specifying a graph in graphviz is much
simpler and more reliable than creating the Java and HTML code necessary to do
the same thing in Java or HTML.

If the original implementer of the git plugin had decided that he must not use
external programs, it would likely have delayed the git plugin by months or
years while waiting for a sufficiently complete native java implementation of
git.  There are many SCM systems (and other tools) which are only available as
external programs, so I don't think we'll be able to avoid referencing external
tools from a continuous integration server.

Mark Waite