On Friday, May 27, 2016 at 7:59:41 AM UTC+1, Craig Rodrigues wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The new Jenkins UI looks nice, and will be a big improvement over the
> existing UI.
>
> The original selling point of Jenkins was that even with the simplistic
> forms-based UI,
> someone could fill out a relatively simple form, and have a continuous
> integration pipeline.
> I have met people who were general devops and scripting people, and could
> use Jenkins quite nicely.
>
> While I understand the motivation for Pipeline (previously known as
> Workflow), I can't say I'm very happy with the results.
>
> Here are some of the pain points I've encountered with Pipeline scripts:
>
>    - Other than the most trivial of scripts, you need to be a
>    knowledgable Groovy programmer.  For example, to make a global variable,
>    you need to use a @Field.  (What?!)  Most scripting and devops people that
>    I know don't really know Groovy.
>    - Documentation for Pipeline scripts isn't that great (although it has
>    definitely been improving).  In all honesty, I cannot point a junior
>    scripting person to write a good Pipeline script for developing a build
>    Pipeline.
>    - The durable task plugin which invokes shell commands on Unix, and
>    batch jobs on Windows goes through an elaborate method for invoking shell
>    commands.  It is very, very difficult to grab the exit status of commands,
>    stderr, stdout, etc.  For a while, these wrappers would do things like not
>    detect when a command had terminated, etc. (Looks like this has been fixed
>    now)
>    - It is very hard to figure out how to cancel a running Pipeline job.
>    The UI link to "Click here to cancel" a Pipeline job is hidden in the
> build
>    output, and often doesn't work.
>
> I understand that Jenkins is going through a big transition period.
> Hopefully at the end of the road, things will be much better.
> However, at this point in time, I would say that in many ways, the current
> direction is *worse* than the old way of doing things with the old
> Jenkins UI.
> The old way has problems, but it was easy to figure out, and didn't have a
> lot of these intermediate layers that try to abstract things out,
> but make things harder to figure out what is going on.
>
> --
> Craig

Hi Craig.

I hear what you are saying. I think your comments are fair and are things
that we need to address.

I think you'll agree that the lower level details relating to how specific
plugins work (durable task etc) is a "general" Jenkins/pipeline problem
that needs to be addressed i.e. is not really specific to the Blue Ocean
(BO) project.

As for the usability issues wrt actually "using" Jenkins pipeline (creating
flow/execution scripts etc), they are most definitely issues that are very
relevant to the BO project. Some prototyping work
<https://github.com/jenkinsci/pipeline-editor-plugin> was done in this area
a while back (and maybe there are other efforts too) and it seems natural
that the plan would be to pick one of these up again in some form and build
it into BO, making pipeline "author" more of a visual (drag & drop .. fill
out a form) kind of process.