I would just like to point out a note from pipeline paper I am reading. It
is as follows,

Stages are usually the top most element of Pipeline syntax. Stages allow
you to group your build step into its component parts. By default, multiple
builds of the same pipeline can run concurrently. The stage element also
allows you to control this concurrency:

The above seem to suggest that stage is necessary to control concurrency.

Also, one more follow-up question. If I were to build on multiple nodes
then how would results from one node be available to the other node.
I assume node can be an independent machine with its own workspace.