I have finally gotten Jenkins and the git plugin running (I have managed to
upgrade to Java8).

git works perfectly from the command line.

If I include /opt/freeware/lib into the LIBPATH when starting jenkins, when
I try to connect to a remove repository, I get basically this error:

OpenSSL version mismatch. Built against 1000105f, you have 100000bf

and the repository exists.

Coincidentally, this is the same error that I get if I include
/opt/freeware/lib in my own LIBPATH.

If I _don't_ include /opt/freeware/lib in the LIBPATH for jenkins, I get:

Failed to connect to repository : Command "git ls-remote -h
ssh://g...@stash.saas-p.com:7999/optio/core.git HEAD" returned status code
255:
stdout:
stderr: exec(): 0509-036 Cannot load program git because of the following
errors:
0509-150   Dependent module /usr/lib/libiconv.a(libiconv.so.2) could not be
loaded.
0509-152   Member libiconv.so.2 is not found in archive

If I don't include it in my own LIBPATH, git works normally.

I tried reproducing my own PATH and LIBPATH in the startup script for git,
but still no joy.  I get the second error.

Obviously there is some sort of environment issue with jenkins, but I can't
figure out what it is.
Any thoughts?