From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Daily devotions for 07-19-2004:
Devotion: Morning and Evening
Morning Title: God's Glory Shown
Evening Title: Gentleness to the Weak
Do you enjoy this devotional? Send it on to a friend!

Morning: God's Glory Shown
"The Lord our God hath shewed us His glory."  --Deuteronomy 5:24

God's great design in all His works is the
manifestation of His own glory. Any aim less than
this were unworthy of Himself. But how shall the
glory of God be manifested to such fallen
creatures as we are? Man's eye is not single, he
has ever a side glance towards his own honour,
has too high an estimate of his own powers, and
so is not qualified to behold the glory of the Lord.

It is clear, then, that self must stand out of
the way, that there may be room for God to be
exalted; and this is the reason why He bringeth
His people ofttimes into straits and
difficulties, that, being made conscious of their
own folly and weakness, they may be fitted to
behold the majesty of God when He comes forth to
work their deliverance. He whose life is one even
and smooth path, will see but little of the glory
of the Lord, for he has few occasions of
self-emptying, and hence, but little fitness for
being filled with the revelation of God.

They who navigate little streams and shallow
creeks, know but little of the God of tempests;
but they who "do business in great waters," these
see His "wonders in the deep." Among the huge
Atlantic-waves of bereavement, poverty,
temptation, and reproach, we learn the power of
Jehovah, because we feel the littleness of man.
Thank God, then, if you have been led by a rough
road: it is this which has given you your
experience of God's greatness and lovingkindness.
Your troubles have enriched you with a wealth of
knowledge to be gained by no other means: your
trials have been the cleft of the rock in which
Jehovah has set you, as He did His servant Moses,
that you might behold His glory as it passed by.

Praise God that you have not been left to the
darkness and ignorance which continued prosperity
might have involved, but that in the great fight
of affliction, you have been  capacitated for the
outshinings of His glory in His wonderful dealings with you.

Evening: Gentleness to the Weak
"A bruised reed shall He not break, and smoking flax shall He not quench."
--Matthew 12:20

What is weaker than the bruised reed or the
smoking flax? A reed that groweth in the fen or
marsh, let but the wild duck light upon it, and
it snaps; let but the foot of man brush against
it, and it is bruised and broken; every wind that
flits across the river moves it to and fro. You
can conceive of nothing more frail or brittle, or
whose existence is more in jeopardy, than a
bruised reed. Then look at the smoking flax--what
is it? It has a spark within it, it is true, but
it is almost smothered; an infant's breath might
blow it out; nothing has a more precarious existence than its flame.

Weak things are here described, yet Jesus says of
them, "The smoking flax I will not quench; the
bruised reed I will not break." Some of God's
children are made strong to do mighty works for
Him; God has His Samsons here and there who can
pull up Gaza's gates, and carry them to the top
of the hill; He has a few mighties who are
lion-like men, but the majority of His people are
a timid, trembling race. They are like starlings,
frightened at every passer by; a little fearful
flock. If temptation comes, they are taken like
birds in a snare; if trial threatens, they are
ready to faint; their frail skiff is tossed up
and down by every wave, they are drifted along
like a sea bird on the crest of the billows--weak
things, without strength, without wisdom, without foresight.

Yet, weak as they are, and because they are so
weak, they have this promise made specially to
them. Herein is grace and graciousness! Herein is
love and lovingkindness! How it opens to us the
compassion of Jesus--so gentle, tender,
considerate! We need never shrink back from His
touch. We need never fear a harsh word from Him;
though He might well chide us for our weakness,
He rebuketh not. Bruised reeds shall have no
blows from Him, and the smoking flax no damping frowns.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/IYOolB/TM
Daftar : [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Keluar : [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Posting: [EMAIL PROTECTED]