From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Spurgeon's Morning & Evening Devotions
Morning, February 24
"Sin .. . exceeding sinful. " - Romans 7:13

Beware of light thoughts of sin. At the time of conversion, the conscience is
so tender, that we are afraid of the slightest sin. Young converts have a holy
timidity, a godly fear lest they
should offend against God.

But alas! very soon the fine bloom upon these first ripe fruits is removed by
the rough handling of the surrounding world: the sensitive plant of young piety
turns into a willow in after life,
too pliant, too easily yielding. It is sadly true, that even a Christian may
grow by degrees so callous, that the sin which once startled him does not alarm
him in the least. By degrees men get familiar with sin.

The ear in which the cannon has been booming will not notice slight sounds. At
first a little sin startles us; but soon we say, "Is it not a little one?" Then
there comes another, larger, and then another, until by degrees we begin to
regard sin as but a little ill; and then follows an unholy presumption: "We
have not fallen into open sin. True, we tripped a little, but we stood
upright in the main.

We may have uttered one unholy word, but as for the most of our conversation,
it has been consistent." So we palliate sin; we throw a cloak over it; we call
it by dainty names. Christian,
beware how thou thinkest lightly of sin.

Take heed lest thou fall by little and little. Sin, a little thing? Is it not a
poison? Who knows its deadliness? Sin, a little thing? Do not the little foxes
spoil the grapes? Doth not the tiny coral insect build a rock which wrecks a
navy? Do not little strokes fell lofty oaks? Will not continual droppings wear
away stones? Sin, a little thing? It girded the Redeemer's head with thorns,
and pierced his heart! It made him suffer anguish, bitterness, and woe. Could
you weigh the least sin in the scales of eternity, you would fly from it as
from a serpent, and abhor the least appearance of evil. Look upon all sin as
that which crucified the Saviour, and you will see it to be "exceeding sinful. "

Evening, February 24
"Thou shalt be called, Sought out." - Isaiah 62:12

The surpassing grace of God is seen very clearly in that we were not only
sought, but sought out. Men seek for a thing which is lost upon the floor of
the house, but in such a case there is
only seeking, not seeking out. The loss is more perplexing and the search more
persevering when a thing is sought out.

We were mingled with the mire: we were as when some precious piece of gold
falls into the sewer, and men gather out and carefully inspect a mass of
abominable filth, and continue to
stir and rake, and search among the heap until the treasure is found. Or, to
use another figure, we were lost in a labyrinth; we wandered hither and
thither, and when mercy came after us with the gospel, it did not find us at
the first coming, it had to search for us and seek us out; for we as lost sheep
were so desperately lost, and had wandered into such a strange country, that it
did not seem possible that even the Good Shepherd should track our devious
roamings. Glory be to unconquerable grace, we were sought out! No gloom could
hide us, no filthiness could conceal us, we were found and brought home. Glory
be to infinite love, God the Holy Spirit restored us!

The lives of some of God's people, if they could be written would fill us with
holy astonishment. Strange and marvellous are the ways which God used in their
case to find his own. Blessed be his name, he never relinquishes the search
until the chosen are sought out effectually.

They are not a people sought to-day and cast away to-morrow.
Almightiness and wisdom combined will make no failures, they shall be called,
"Sought out!" That any should be sought out is matchless grace, but that we
should be sought out is grace beyond degree! We can find no reason for it but
God's own sovereign love, and can only lift up our heart in wonder, and praise
the Lord that this night we wear the name of "Sought out. "
Daily devotions for 02-21-2005:
Devotion: Morning and Evening
Morning Title: He Hath Said
Evening Title: Study in Prayer
Do you enjoy this devotional? Send it on to a friend!

Morning: He Hath Said
"He hath said."         --Hebrews 13:5

If we can only grasp these words by faith, we have an all-conquering weapon in
our hand. What doubt will not be slain by this two-edged sword?
What fear is there which shall not fall smitten with a deadly wound before this
arrow from the
bow of God's covenant? Will not the distresses of life and the pangs of death;
will not the corruptions within, and the snares without; will not the trials
from above, and the temptations
from beneath, all seem but light afflictions, when we can hide ourselves
beneath the bulwark of "He hath said"? Yes; whether for delight in our
quietude, or for strength in our conflict, "He
hath said" must be our daily resort.
And this may teach us the extreme value of searching the Scriptures. There may
be a promise in the Word which would exactly fit your case, but you may not
know of it, and therefore you miss its comfort. You are like prisoners in a
dungeon, and there may be one key in the bunch which would unlock the door, and
you might be free; but if you will not look for it, you may remain a prisoner
still, though liberty is so near at hand.

There may be a potent medicine in the great pharmacopoeia of Scripture, and you
may yet
continue sick unless you will examine and search the Scriptures to discover
what "He hath said."
Should you not, besides reading the Bible, store your memories richly with the
promises of God?
You can recollect the sayings of great men; you treasure up the verses of
renowned poets; ought you not to be profound in your knowledge of the words of
God, so that you may be able to quote them readily when you would solve a
difficulty, or overthrow a doubt?
Since "He hath said" is the source of all wisdom, and the fountain of all
comfort, let it dwell in you richly, as "A well of water, springing up unto
everlasting life." So shall you grow healthy, strong, and happy in the divine
life.

Evening: Study in Prayer
"Understandest thou what thou readest?"              --Acts 8:30

We should be abler teachers of others, and less liable to be carried about by
every wind of
doctrine, if we sought to have a more intelligent understanding of the Word of
God. As the Holy Ghost, the Author of the Scriptures is He who alone can
enlighten us rightly to understand them, we should constantly ask His teaching,
and His guidance into all truth. When the prophet Daniel would interpret
Nebuchadnezzar's dream, what did he do? He set himself to earnest prayer that
God would open up the vision. The apostle John, in his vision at Patmos, saw a
book sealed with seven seals which none was found worthy to open, or so much as
to look upon. The book was afterwards opened by the Lion of the tribe of Judah,
who had prevailed to open it; but it is written first--"I wept much." The tears
of John, which were his liquid prayers, were, so far as he was concerned, the
sacred keys by which the folded book was opened. Therefore, if, for your own
and others' profiting, you desire to be "filled with the knowledge of God's
will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding," remember that prayer is your
best means of study: like Daniel, you shall understand the dream, and the
interpretation thereof, when you have sought unto God; and like John you shall
see the seven seals of precious truth unloosed, after you have wept much.

Stones are not broken, except by an earnest use of the hammer; and the
stone-breaker must go down on his knees. Use the hammer of diligence, and let
the knee of prayer be exercised, and there is not a stony doctrine in
revelation which is useful for you to understand, which will not fly into
shivers under the exercise of prayer and faith. You may force your way through
anything with the leverage of prayer. Thoughts and reasonings are like the
steel wedges which give a hold upon truth; but prayer is the lever, the prise
which forces open the iron chest of sacred mystery, that we may get the
treasure hidden within.