From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Spurgeon's Morning & Evening Devotions
Morning, April 13
"Thou art my hope in the day of evil." - Jeremiah 17:17

The path of the Christian is not always bright with sunshine; he has his
seasons of darkness and of storm. True, it is written in God's Word, "Her ways
are ways of pleasantness, and all her paths are peace;" and it is a great
truth, that religion is calculated to give a man happiness below as well as
bliss above; but experience tells us that if the course of the just be "As the
shining light that shineth more and more unto the perfect day," yet sometimes
that light is eclipsed. At certain periods clouds cover the believer's sun, and
he walks in darkness and sees no light.

There are many who have rejoiced in the presence of God for a season; they have
basked in the sunshine in the earlier stages of their Christian career; they
have walked along the "green
pastures" by the side of the "still waters," but suddenly they find the
glorious sky is clouded; instead of the Land of Goshen they have to tread the
sandy desert; in the place of sweet
waters, they find troubled streams, bitter to their taste, and they say,
"Surely, if I were a child of God, this would not happen." Oh! say not so, thou
who art walking in darkness. The best of God's saints must drink the wormwood;
the dearest of his children must bear the cross.

No Christian has enjoyed perpetual prosperity; no believer can always keep his
harp from the willows. Perhaps the Lord allotted you at first a smooth and
unclouded path, because you were weak and timid. He tempered the wind to the
shorn lamb, but now that you are stronger in the spiritual life, you must enter
upon the riper and rougher experience of God's full-grown children.

We need winds and tempests to exercise our faith, to tear off the rotten bough
of self-dependence, and to root us more firmly in Christ. The day of evil
reveals to us the value of our glorious hope.

Evening, April 13
"The Lord taketh pleasure in his people." - Psalm 149:4

How comprehensive is the love of Jesus! There is no part of his people's
interests which he does not consider, and there is nothing which concerns their
welfare which is not important to
him. Not merely does he think of you, believer, as an immortal being, but as a
mortal being too. Do not deny it or doubt it: "The very hairs of your head are
all numbered."

"The steps of a good man are ordered by the Lord: and he delighteth in his
way." It were a sad thing for us if this mantle of love did not cover all our
concerns, for what mischief might
be wrought to us in that part of our business which did not come under our
gracious Lord's inspection! Believer, rest assured that the heart of Jesus
cares about your meaner affairs. The breadth of his tender love is such that
you may resort to him in all matters; for in all your afflictions he is
afflicted, and like as a father pitieth his children, so doth he pity you.

The meanest interests of all his saints are all borne upon the broad bosom of
the Son of God. Oh, what a heart is his, that doth not merely comprehend the
persons of his people, but comprehends also the diverse and innumerable
concerns of all those persons!
Dost thou think, O Christian, that thou canst measure the love of Christ? Think
of what his love has brought thee-justification, adoption, sanctification,
eternal life! The riches of his
goodness are unsearchable; thou shalt never be able to tell them out or even
conceive them. Oh, the breadth of the love of Christ!
Shall such a love as this have half our hearts? Shall it have a cold love in
return? Shall Jesus' marvellous lovingkindness and tender care meet with but
faint response and tardy
acknowledgment? O my soul, tune thy harp to a glad song of thanksgiving! Go to
thy rest rejoicing, for thou art no desolate wanderer, but a beloved child,
watched over, cared for, supplied, and defended by thy Lord.