From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Daily devotions for 04-18-2005:
Devotion: Morning and Evening
Morning Title: Coming to the Blood
Evening Title: A Singular Desire
Do you enjoy this devotional? Send it on to a friend!

Morning: Coming to the Blood
"We are come to the blood of sprinkling, that speaketh better things than that
of Abel."
--Hebrews 12:24

Reader, have you come to the blood of sprinkling?
The question is not whether you have come to a knowledge of doctrine, or an
observance of
ceremonies, or to a certain form of experience, but have you come to the blood
of Jesus? The
blood of Jesus is the life of all vital godliness. If you have truly come to
Jesus, we
know how you came--the Holy Spirit sweetly brought you there. You came to the
blood of
sprinkling with no merits of your own. Guilty, lost, and helpless, you came to
take that blood,
and that blood alone, as your everlasting hope.
You came to the cross of Christ, with a trembling and an aching heart; and oh!
what a precious sound it was to you to hear the voice of the blood of Jesus!
The dropping of His blood is as the music of heaven to the penitent sons of
earth. We are full of sin, but the Saviour bids
us lift our eyes to Him, and as we gaze upon His streaming wounds, each drop of
blood, as it
falls, cries, "It is finished; I have made an end of sin; I have brought in
everlasting
righteousness."

Oh! sweet language of the precious blood of Jesus! If you have come to that
blood once, you
will come to it constantly. Your life will be "Looking unto Jesus." Your whole
conduct will be
epitomized in this--"To whom coming." Not to whom I have come, but to whom I am
always coming. If thou hast ever come to the blood of sprinkling, thou wilt
feel thy need of coming to it every day. He who does not desire to wash in it
every day, has never washed in it at all. The believer ever feels it to be his
joy and privilege that there is still a fountain opened. Past
experiences are doubtful food for Christians; a present coming to Christ alone
can give us joy
and comfort. This morning let us sprinkle our door-post fresh with blood, and
then feast upon
the Lamb, assured that the destroying angel must pass us by.

Evening: A Singular Desire
"We would see Jesus." --John 12:21

Evermore the worldling's cry is, Who will show us any good?" He seeks
satisfaction in earthly
comforts, enjoyments, and riches. But the quickened sinner knows of only one
good. "O that
I knew where I might find HIM!" When he is truly awakened to feel his guilt, if
you could pour the gold of India at his feet, he would say, "Take it away: I
want to find HIM." It is a blessed thing for a man, when he has brought his
desires into a focus, so that they all centre in one object.
When he has fifty different desires, his heart resembles a mere of stagnant
water, spread out
into a marsh, breeding miasma and pestilence; but when all his desires are
brought into one
channel, his heart becomes like a river of pure water, running swiftly to
fertilize the fields.
Happy is he who hath one desire, if that one desire be set on Christ, though it
may not yet
have been realized. If Jesus be a soul's desire, it is a blessed sign of divine
work within. Such
a man will never be content with mere ordinances.
He will say, "I want Christ; I must have Him--mere ordinances are of no use to
me; I want
Himself; do not offer me these; you offer me the empty pitcher, while I am
dying of thirst; give
me water, or I die. Jesus is my soul's desire. I would see Jesus!"

Is this thy condition, my reader, at this moment?
Hast thou but one desire, and is that after Christ? Then thou art not far from
the kingdom of
heaven. Hast thou but one wish in thy heart, and that one wish that thou mayst
be washed from all thy sins in Jesus' blood? Canst thou really say,
"I would give all I have to be a Christian; I would give up everything I have
and hope for, if
I might but feel that I have an interest in Christ"? Then, despite all thy
fears, be of good
cheer, the Lord loveth thee, and thou shalt come out into daylight soon, and
rejoice in the
liberty wherewith Christ makes men free.