I have mentioned (along with others) the concept of "portlet repository" or
"portlet marketplace" several times on this list. As Scott has already
stated, Apache will not support the infrastructure required to make this
happen. Also, I'm not too crazy about a "public" CVS where everyone is a
committer.

I proposed the "page with links" as an initial solution. It is something
that can be done quickly and perhaps will "jumpstart" more portlet
publishing. Creating a centralized repository will take some effort and I
will not sign up for this task by myself. Jetspeed-2 will make it even
easier to develop pluggable portlets and the same repository could be used.
Let's put some ideas into action.

Ideally, I'd like to see Jetspeed Site
(http://jakarta.apache.org/jetspeed/site/) to be portal based (self-hosted).
We could then have a Portlet Catalog portlet allowing to upload and maintain
contributed portlets. We can all dream...

Aurelien Pernoud:

> That's what's done for Httpclient too, a contrib directory that is clearly
> stated as "not supported" (at least by jetspeed-dev). And that's nice :)

I checked out the HttpClient site and I didn't see anything about
contributions. Can you send some links?

> Sami Leino:
> I agree. One of the complaints I have heard about Jetspeed is the lack of
> useful portlets. Many potential users have thus moved towards other portal
> solutions offering dozens of useful built-in portlet applications, despite
> of the fact that the overall feature set of their chosen portal engine
> core is not even close to the rich feature set of Jetspeed core.

I've seen this happen recently (will not mention any product names to
protect the innocent).

Best regards,

Mark Orciuch - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://jakarta.apache.org/jetspeed/