All,

I just completed user attributes (PLT 17) support (see
http://nagoya.apache.org/jira/browse/JS2-20) and would
like to discuss a possible J2 extension on the list.

In the current portlet specs, there is no capability
for mapping ref to link for user attributes between a
portlet and the portal implementation.

In a portlet application, we can specify which user
attribute the portlet will use.  For instance:

  <user-attribute>
        <description>User Given Name</description>
        <name>user.name.given</name>
  </user-attribute>

where user.name.given is the name of the attribute in
the portal and the portlet.  But what if, we want to
deploy prebuilt portlet in J2 which leverage user
attribute but the portlet code user user-name-given
instead of user.name.given used by the portal.

It therefore seems to me, that the same way security
mapping as a role-name and a role-link, the same
should apply to user attribute.

I am proposing that we leverage jetspeed-portlet.xml
to support such a mapping.  If no mapping is specified
then the default behavior takes place, if a mapping is
specified in jetspeed-portlet.xml, J2 will leverage
that mapping as a way to map J2 user attributes to the
portlet user attribute (in the example above,
user-name-given to user.name.given).

Let me know your thoughts.  If you agree, I will enter
as a feature on JIRA and start working on it.

Regards,

David.