Shah,

Ok.... does not look too difficult at this point.

How do you want to arrange the psml pages physically in your file system?

Do you have other profiling requirements... other views based on user/role/group or authentication?

Randy

Shah Amit wrote:

Hi Randy,

Here is the tree that I want to create for my website -

- Home (psml)
- Contact Us (psml)
- About Us (psml)
- Products (SubMenu)
   - Product 1 (psml)
   - Product 2 (psml)
   - Product 3 (psml)
- Customer Area (SubMenu)
   - Download Reports (SubMenu)
         - Report 1 (psml)
         - Report 2 (psml)
   - Comparision tools (SubMenu)
         - Tool 1 (psml)
         - Tool 2 (psml)

How should I lay it out and how should I write my decorator so that I can display this tree on the left as my navigation menu ...

Thanks,
Amit

----Original Message Follows---- From: Randy Watler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Reply-To: "Jetspeed Developers List" <jetspeed-dev@jakarta.apache.org> To: Jetspeed Developers List <jetspeed-dev@jakarta.apache.org> Subject: Re: J2 - Menu Navigation - Root Folder Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 10:54:52 -0700

Shah,

Right.... the problem is that the API is not designed to allow arbitrary use of the getParent() method because the profiler does not construct a complete view of the site on each page request. The reason is that it can be costly generate views of the site that are not necessarily going to be visited by the user.

Instead, we would expect this to be done using document sets. Perhaps it is easy, perhaps not. Can you please generate an example set of folders and pages you'd like to add to your layout and I'd be glad to assist.

Thanks,

Randy

Shah Amit wrote:

Hi David,

Reposing my question on the developer thread.

The problem is org.apache.jetspeed.profiler.ProfiledPageContext interface and all the other related interfaces are very convinient to navigate child elements. But it is tough to reach the "root" folder, or to traverse up the tree.

Now the reason I need to traverse up the tree is because I need to display a "tabbed" menu interface which goes 3 levels deep. Something similar to amazon.com. Now all the samples included in J2 display all the child folders and sub-elements, but there is no example that basically displays "everything" under pages directory in like a tree format and let user choose where he wants to go.

Would really appreciate any help.

For now the I am thinking of workaround where I will go 5 levels down. I dont think I need to worry for more than that. Also to reach the root folder, I am using following macro -

#macro(createTree $folder)
   #set($parent = $folder.getParent())
   #if($parent != "/")
       #createTree($parent)