Team,

David and I have been discussing potential options to the current profiler/page-manager generated page layout navigations. While what we have seems to be fairly powerful and flexible, it also seems to be too complex and/or scalable for use by many users. It often raises questions on the lists and certainly does not seem self documenting!

We have discussed implementing a declarative navigation definition, (i.e. J1 menus), that could be specified globally or at the folder level. We have also pondered some modal configuration settings/hints to the existing solution that correspond to different navigational styles, (i.e. relative forward/back navigation as we currently have, constant navigation elements that reflect the physical folder structures, logical view specifications like document sets, etc.). Obviously, changes to support these different modes would also involve modifications to the various velocity layout templates. Related efforts might include support for javascript pull down menus or other portal navigation interfaces.

I would like to get input from the team on whether it is time to consider such an effort and indeed what the effort should look like and include. Any and all input will be appreciated!

Thanks,

Randy