Hi Scott,

  Yes, this type of model shows some promise.  Now, what is also
important to recognize is that by manipulating the DOM on a maximize,
that all the portlets are actually still present.  Just not visible.
So perhaps we would need to send a message to non-visible portlets so
that they could perhaps 'pause' when they weren't visible.

rgds,
Gerry Reno