David, thanks a lot for the pointers.
I was able to fix the problem I was having, but I was
still curious to see how user profiles are mapped to
the DB structure.

> I assume you are using the Hypersonic database.
> If so, run the manageProd.bat or manageProd.sh
> script found
> in the src/database/hsql directory
>
>  From there you can edit or reset your data with SQL

Yes, I use HSQL for now. I looked at the manageProd
scripts - they invoke the HSQL DB Manager application.
It is useful, but I am not completely sure which
tables I should be updating... I looked at the DB
tables and the most promising , in my opinion , is the
'SECURITY_CREDENTIAL' table. Is the 'value' field the
one that contains passwords? I could not find a
'password' field in any other table ... Also, would
setting the 'update_required' field to FALSE be enough
to stop password update requests from J2? I did not
try it yet, since your next suggestion worked as a
quick fix, but I would like to try this approach to
exempt only selective users from updating their
passwords :)

> > 2. how could I stop Jetspeed from requiring me to
> > change the passwords all the time ? (drives me
> crazy
> > to remember all changed passwords :-) )
> >

> I know what you mean with the passwords,
> I started just typing in the first 2 characters as
> the new password.
>
> I don't think there's an option for turning off the
> feature short of
> changing the db population scripts
>
> A quick fix: remove the password-credential  valve
> completely from the
> jetspeed-pipeline.xml

  I assume you meant the
portal/src/webapp/WEB-INF/assembly/pipelines.xml file
- it did contain the Valve you described.
Commenting out the passwordCredentialValve did work -
no user is prompted to change his password anymore.

Thanks!
Marina

P.S. just a side note - I use the SQLExplorer plugin
for Eclipse to work with DBs directly - it seems to be
much more user-friendly than the HSQL Manager :) -
IMHO, of course

>    <bean id="jetspeed-pipeline"

class="org.apache.jetspeed.pipeline.JetspeedPipeline"