Randy,
you were absolutely right - the problems I had were
due to some DB inconsistency, I think.

I have reinstalled Tomcat and checked out latest
version of J2M1 from CVS and I had no problem logging
in or changing passwords as any of the users.

I was trying to understand what exactly went wrong,
though, as I did not feel comfortable loosing my
working J2 installation. I looked more into what I've
done and I think I found the most likely reason for
the problem.
In brief, I was mixing DB initialization/startup
procedures from the binary and CVS installs - I was
running ‘maven start.production.server’ with the
binary install and start_database.bat after I
reinstalled J2 from CVS… Also, incorrect users were
being used as the
'org.apache.jetspeed.services.autodeployment.user' –
admin' for CVS install, instead of 'j2deployer' (since
I was using 'leftovers' in the build.properties file
after the binary install)

Basically, my guess is, that if you built J2 from a
binary distribution, you should always start your Db
with the start_database.bat script before starting
Tomcat. And if you updated J2 from CVS, you should run
'maven quickStart' once at the build time, and then
start the DB with the 'maven start.production.server'
all subsequent times you start J2.

I may be completely off here...

Thanks for your help!
Marina