For the Spring web layer to work correctly within a portlet would require a
bridge to be built, like the one that is available for Struts in the Bridges
project.  At the start of the Bridges project I posted a message on the
Spring user's list asking for participation but it appeared that that call
fell on deaf ears :(

You may want to post on the Spring user's list and see if anyone has written
any JSR-168 portlets using the Spring web layer.

Regards,
Scott