Reading the October 2002 issue of Linux Magazine, which has a fine article on Journaling File Systems, prompted me to decide on giving JFS a whirl. I formatted a Western Digital WD800 hard drive to JFS. My idea was to partition, format the drive as JFS, copy over my entire Red Hat 7.3 system, and then switch drives. If I actually got the kernel to boot and starting X successfully, I would then upgrade to Red Hat 8.0.

It took me some time to figure out how to reinstall the Grub bootloader, and when I did, it began to boot the 2.4.18-17.7.x kernel which I had recompiled with jfs-1.0.24 and iptables 1.2.7a support. I also have jfsutils-1.0.24 support. The boot sequence started, then an error message stating that the kernel couldn't find "init" and more messages to the effect that it couldn't find an ext3 filesystem to mount came up. Even though I had recompiled my kernel with the latest jfs support built in, I can see that it didn't live on a jfs partition at the time I created the initial ram disk (initrd). I know that ext3 does need an initrd.

Does JFS need an initial ram disk (initrd)? How do I create one? Or is my problem indicative of something else entirely. Is there a specific procedure needed to boot Red Hat kernels successfully?

Thanks a lot for any advice that can be given to me.

Bob Cochran
Greenbelt, Maryland, USA