On Tue, 2002-11-05 at 19:32, Robert L. Cochran wrote:
> ... The boot sequence started, then an error
> message stating that the kernel couldn't find "init" and more messages
> to the effect that it couldn't find an ext3 filesystem to mount came up.

I recently did a similar migration, and saw the same error message when
booting through grub.  I had forgotten to use grub's "initrd" command to
specify the location of the initrd file; double check that.

Be warned that you cannot do a redhat upgrade to 8.0 if the root
filesystem is JFS (I tried).  I've been told that non-root JFS
filesystems don't pose a problem, but there seems to be something
special about / in regards to their upgrade procedure.

I wound up doing a minimal RH8 install into a small ext3 partition
that was destined to become swap.  After booting I set-up some JFS
partitions, copied the installation over, and made the necessary mods
to grub.conf and fstab.  After ensuring the moved installation would
boot, I turned the ext3 partition to swap.  Then began the extremely
painful process of installing the remaining redhat packages by hand.
I wish redhat would get off their butt and support JFS as a filesystem
for installs and upgrades.

Neil Carlson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>