On 12/2/2015 8:31 AM, Paul Benedict wrote:
All that information is locked in binary format but it
should be human readable. I should be able to go in myself and do this with
a text editor. I shouldn't have to compile a file anymore than I have to
compile my MANIFEST.MF or web.xml or application.xml. This is all about
configuration; not executable code.

Annotations are human readable in source code but end up "locked in binary format". Entity mappings and REST endpoints (since we're speaking of EE constructs like application.xml) are configuration ... do you expect to be able to use a text editor to modify them?

Is there any more to say on the issue of "source-flowing-to-binary versus structured-text" than is already rehearsed at http://stackoverflow.com/questions/182393/xml-configuration-versus-annotation-based-configuration ?

Alex