Alex, the primary benefit of annotations (vs. XML) is delivering code and
configuration in one bundle. It's unnecessary to deliver configuration
separately (i.e., XML) if you have a component that primarily has one way
of being configured. That's exactly why annotations are very valuable in EE
development and can displace configuration files. Because of the bundling,
no, I have no any expectation of going into a text editor for modification.

On the contrary, the discussion on these boards make me believe the module
information is going to be more fluid. Right now it's expressing
dependencies, but it seems frameworks and other tools may want to add their
own bits of information along the way. This, like the Manifest, I do have
expectations for editing at will. Perhaps I want to add data only I care
about, and I may want to see what others have added. That's all a
possibility. The current design even encourages people to make
customization (via custom attributes in the class file) to the module.

But, with that said, I am unsure the point you're trying to make. The
Module Descriptor is neither annotation nor XML and doesn't configure code.
Rather, it configures the build-time and/or run-time environment. It's
practically a weak "make" file or IDE project configuration in its current
form. It's very odd to take this information and shoe-horn it into a class
file.

Cheers,
Paul