On 15.07.2016 13:55, Sanne Grinovero wrote:
So what happens is that such projects go to communities like WildFly
and OSGi for advice, where the typical answer is among the lines "I
know, we're discussing such things on the jigsaw-dev list, watch
thread XY, or watch #MyIssueCategory on Mark's blogs".

Please also ask them to the Quality Outreach effort, as well and send them my or Rory's way.

summarising feedback from hundreds of projects there. The ones who
care are lurking on this list hoping to see answers for issues which
have been raised already, but not many feel competent enough to join
the conversation directly (and this might be a good thing!).

(Breaking the fourth wall)

If you're lurking on this list, are a lead developer on a popular open source project, and aren't listed on https://wiki.openjdk.java.net/display/quality/Quality+Outreach yet, please get in touch with me to get listed there and start testing your project with JDK 9 Early Access builds, letting us know about things that don't work as they should.

interests of all such users. Not sure if you want us to organise a
storm of "+1" emails as I'm confident that reason will win over
spamming strategies and populism (or should I say "modern democracy").

I don't think that would be a productive use of anyone's resources.

I can't say what other OSGi frameworks are doing, but for example
testing Hibernate in OSGi requires Apache Karaf, which is stuck on
issues like:
 - https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KARAF-3518

Judging by http://markmail.org/message/6v3kiqabebwtuwpv they use the endorsed standards mechanism to override non-endorsed classes. That's not how the Java Endorsed Standards Override Mechanism works - please see http://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/technotes/guides/standards/ for details.

A large part of what we do initially within the Quality Outreach effort is to help open source projects understand problems with their own code and practices that can adversely affect their ability to migrate to new JDK (update) releases as they start testing against JDK 9 and discover one or more issues with their code.

cheers,
dalibor topic

--
<http://www.oracle.com> Dalibor Topic | Principal Product Manager
Phone: +494089091214 <tel:+494089091214> | Mobile: +491737185961

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG | Kühnehöfe 5 | 22761 Hamburg

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG

<http://www.oracle.com/commitment> Oracle is committed to developing
practices and products that help protect the environment