On 14.07.2016 14:31, Robert Muir wrote:
On Thu, Jul 14, 2016 at 8:22 AM, dalibor topic <dalibor.to...@oracle.com> wrote:

I'd suggest moving on [1] to a maintained version of that dependency, such
as 2.6.x currently seems to be.

I'm not complaining about the issue: I'm simply trying to put things
in perspective, communicate a bit of a reality check as to what is
going to happen. *tons* of libraries depend on log4j 1.x, it may even
be more widely used than guava.

It's pretty close, yeah:

https://mvnrepository.com/artifact/com.google.guava/guava/usages: 7490
https://mvnrepository.com/artifact/log4j/log4j/usages : 7439

The migration to the next version seems to have
https://mvnrepository.com/artifact/org.apache.logging.log4j/log4j-core/usages : 859

so it looks like it's getting adopted a little bit faster than log4j 1.x originally was.

We try to do the right thing and fix the issues we encounter, when
testing java 9, and send patches where they should go.

Thank you for doing that hard work!

But it is hard
when the software is unmaintained, or stubborn (e.g.
https://github.com/aws/aws-sdk-java/pull/718)

In general, awareness of the importance of planning to adopt future revisions of one's dependencies seems to be very low across the open source development spectrum, with very few exceptions (Linux distro rebuilds with latest GCC versions, etc.), often leading to ad-hoc decision making in many projects about such upgrades, which is fueled in turn by the lack of reliable release or support roadmaps from their open source dependencies.

With respect to the JDK and the Java community specifically, I think things have got a bit better then they were a few years ago, thanks to the work Rory and his collaborators like yourself are doing on raising awareness of upcoming JDK changes through the Quality Outreach efforts, but as you say, there is still a long way to go, and we could always use more collaborators. ;)

cheers,
dalibor topic
--
<http://www.oracle.com> Dalibor Topic | Principal Product Manager
Phone: +494089091214 <tel:+494089091214> | Mobile: +491737185961

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG | Kühnehöfe 5 | 22761 Hamburg

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG

<http://www.oracle.com/commitment> Oracle is committed to developing
practices and products that help protect the environment