On 13/02/2017 13:34, Guillaume Smet wrote:

:

This doesn't work anymore as the Java SE JSR 250 annotations (@Generated,
@PreDestroy, @PostConstruct, @Resource...) that were previously in a module
called java.annotations.common were moved to a module called
java.xml.ws.annotation as part of the aforementioned issue.

There will be a some shimmer in the module graph and names until things are final so anything depending on the names in the EA builds may need to deal with changes. Yes, it is mildly disruptive but hopefully not too many changes before JSR 379 and JDK 9 is final.

As far as I understand it, these annotations are supposed to be common
annotations available in the JDK (see JSR 250: Common Annotations for the
JavaTM Platform). Some are used by a lot of projects out there: nearly
every project based on generated code requires the @Generated annotation to
be present as most tools generating code use it.

I don't know why these annotations were hosted in the jaxws part of the
source code to begin with but I don't think we can limit them to this usage.

At the end, I'm wondering if these classes shouldn't be part of the default
set of classes exposed without requiring an --add-modules option.

The small subset of the JSR-250 defined "Common Annotations" that you see in Java SE is part of the web services stack that was added in Java SE 6. If it weren't for JAX-WS then these annotations would have no business being in Java SE or the JDK.

The rational for why this module is not resolved by default is documented in JEP 261. For those that don't deploy with the Java EE version of these annotations then it does mean using `--add-modules java.xml.ws.annotation`.

One thing to be aware of is that the JSR 379 EDR proposes to deprecate this module for removal and hopefully it can be removed in Java SE 10.

-Alan