En/na Sebastian Bazley ha escrit:
----- Original Message ----- From: "Jordi Salvat i Alabart" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>[...]
So, I would propose to write our ResourceBundle subclass that will
provide the English strings for any resources missing in the
per-language property file.

I don't think any coding is necessary - AFAIK, Java already does this.
E.g. if Java does not find "open_file" in message_de.properties, it will check for
"open_file" in messages.properties.
[This confused me when I originally wrote the resource JUnit test - it did not find
missing keys in the de/no/ja files, because it
defaulted to the ones in messages.properties. This is why the code parses the entries
itself, rather than using the Java methods...]

Is it that clever? Wow!

We need to choose:
- either we assume that translators will use i18nEdit or similar, and remove the
English values (and keys?)
- or we leave the English values in the file so that translators can work on files in
isolation
I don't mind which.

The problem with the later is that once an initial translation has been done, there's no way to "tell" the translator that a change has been made to the English text and the translation should be reviewed. I'm thinking about semantical changes, not spelling, of course.

I guess we should ask the translators.

[...]

As an initial implementation, using the Java names would be OK, but I don't think they
can be left like that.
Too restrictive when choosing class and variable names, and one cannot use spaces ...

Of course it's a prototyping feature -- only, as I suggested, for Alfa/Experimental stuff. OK: remove the Beta.

[...]

By the way, I found I needed to add *.metaprops to Eclipse Team files to be ignored ...

The plan is to keep those in CVS.

--
Salut,

Jordi.