Hi.

i18nEdit is exactly what we need: it handles projects with multiple .properties files very nicely. You just press F2 and it takes you to the next [untranslated] property -- even if it is in a separate file. It also provides the equivalent of diff/patch to handle sending changes and committing them.

So I'll stick to my opinion that it's better to put resources in separate files -- up to one per bean in the TestBeans case.

In which case, we should:
- Add i18nEdit's i18nedit.properties and .../*.metaprops files to CVS.
- Write some brief documentation on how a translator should use i18nEdit to write translations, and how a committer should merge in submitted translations.

Any arguments against this plan?

--
Salut,

Jordi

En/na Jordi Salvat i Alabart ha escrit:
Been looking at RBManager. If I've understood well, RBManager manages single files (with their translations) only.

Looks like it's not a good idea to have tons of small .properties files scattered all through the src directories -- unless we find some other tool that handles that better.

One single monolithic messages.properties as we have now is awful and inconvenient: programmers writing their own test elements now need to edit that file, and redo their changes on every upgrade... or go their own way. Plus the messages lack context, which makes a correct translation very difficult.

One .properties file per package would not improve things much, because we often classes in the same package defined in separate source directories (e.g. org.apache.jmeter.timers exists both in src/core and src/components). It can be discussed whether this is a mistake.

One .properties file per src directory would be better, but it's not obvious to implement using the standard JDK APIs.

The best approach is, IMO, one .properties file per component or bean. But then a tool to handle the translation process is a must. I'm building a long-list for that:
- RBManager
http://oss.software.ibm.com/icu4j/demo_tools/RBManager.html
- Zaval JRC Editor http://zaval.org/products/jrc-editor/download/index.html
- I18NEdit