Jonathan you have the same sympthom I once had! Please tell me more :-) In my
case samples didn't record at all - there no records in ANY report (e.g.
Report Tree).

Could you see the log (jmeter.log) or console - can you see regex exceptions?
In my case there was ORO (deep in the perlmatcher) error: IndexOutOfBound -
and sample processing stopped in this very moment (no logs).

How are you reproducing that? please tell me, I want to know what is going on
with that. (It's happenning to me very seldom, but it makes me nervous :-)

best regards
Michal Kostrzewa