for general performance testing stuff, I have several performance
articles listed on the links page
http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-jmeter/JMeterLinks.

If I compare JMeter to other tools I've used, I would say it is
comparable. The tools I've used:

1. apache ab
2. zdnet Webbench
3. custom script perl

The biggest challenge of stress testing is this, "what are you
testing?"  Most of the time, the bottleneck for a website is the
connection to the internet. I have a explanation of it in the
articles. It doesn't really matter if your website can handle 80
concurrent requests reliably, if you're server is on a T1. I would say
JMeter can easily produce enough stress to figure out what the upper
limit is for your web application. The situations where it won't be
suitable is if you're testing a system that has to support 5,000
concurrent users. You still could use JMeter if you setup each
instance with 100 threads and use 50 machines.

realistically, to do that kind of test, the server would have to be a
big Unix box or mainframe hooked up to several gigabit routers. Using
100mbit ethernet, you wouldn't be able to test 5K concurrent requests
for a sustained period of time effectively. Sustained transfer rate
plays a huge role in how many concurrent requests a system can handle
reliably for a long time.

peter