The BeanShell Sampler can be used to write a script to perform a single sample.
BeanShell can also be used to create functions and Assertions.

It's not possible to use BeanShell as a scripting language to _control_JMeter.

The JMeter engine uses its own "language", which is what is recorded
in the JMX files. This is not a scripting language.

S.