2008/4/28 Purdy, Ron <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> Maybe I don't understand enough to properly answer.  Here is my
>  attempt..
>  I am actually trying to run a functionality test.
>  I want to go to a URL and then try to positively verify that certain
>  words appear and then negatively verify that other words do not appear
>  (404 error, generic error, problem)

JMeter has CSV Dataset

http://jakarta.apache.org/jmeter/usermanual/component_reference.html#CSV_Data_Set_Config

which can be used to read variables from CSV files.

The variables can then be used in Samplers and the Response Assertion:

http://jakarta.apache.org/jmeter/usermanual/component_reference.html#Response_Assertion

I suggest you start by creating a very simple test plan:

Thread Group
+ CSV Dataset (Recycle EOF=false, Stop on EOF=true)
+ HTTP Sampler
+ + Response Assertion Contains
+ + Response Assertion Contains Not

Start with fixed strings, and replace them with variables defined in
the CSV Dataset.