> The docs specifically state that variables are local to threads.

Yes, I see that now.  It is mentioned in a highlighted box in 19.
Functions and Variables topic.

As I was hunting around the JMeter documentation, and came upon an
entry in the Wiki asking whether users actually read the docs.  I can
assure you that I have been reviewing these docs for a few days and
this fact that variables are local to a thread didn't really hit at
first.  Perhaps I overlooked it the first time or two.

Michael