> Are you sure?
>
> It works fine for me.
>
> Try defining VAR as fixed text, and check that the RA works.

Yes, that works.

> If the VAR appears to be set, but is not being picked up by the RA,
> then perhaps the variable is being defined after the RA is processed.

That would seem to be a bug.

The test plan is like this:
1. thread group with single thread executes a transaction to obtain
the expected result.

This thread group uses regular expression extractor to define a
reference name containing the text to be matched later in the test.

The reference name is fed into another transaction to verify that the
pattern is correct and the reference variable has been set correctly.
.. it is correct

2. a second thread group with 9 threads executes a series of transactions.

3. finally, a thread group with a single thread executes a transaction
and uses the Response Assertion to validate the result.

If the RA uses a variable that is defined in the test plan user
defined variables, then the RA correctly matches the output.

If the RA uses a variable that is difined using the Regular Expression
Extractor from the first thread group, the RA does not match.

>From this it appears that:
a. user defined variables defined in the Test Plan can be substituted
into the patterns of a Response Assertion.
b. variables created using Regular Expression Extractor cannot be
substituted into the patterns of an RA.

So back to my original question, is there a way to substitute
variables created by RegEx Extractor into an RA pattern?