Ok, I figured out I needed to set the jmeter.properties to enable logging.  I
see that I am actually getting the same error you said is the only
error/situation you can see as failing:
ERROR - jmeter.config.RandomVariableConfig: maximum(${count_1}) must be >
minimum0)

I'm not exactly sure why this is happening since the log shows count_1 = 1
and my minimum = 0 (the db was just wiped so there is only 1 record now).
So being that count_1 = 1 and min is 0, I didn't expect this to fail. Just
to make sure I was referencing things correctly, I set my minimum to -1 and
got it to work.

I guess once I have more records in the db, this will not occur, but am
still curious why I would be getting that error.  Does the random controller
require a difference larger than 1?