On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 11:43 PM, Robert Hanson <hans...@stolaf.edu> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 4:31 PM, Nicolas Vervelle <nverve...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi Bob,
>>
>> I agree about putting the constants in a new package, a little preference
>> for org.jmol.constants (we may have other things than enum).
>>
>> Enum can be as complex as you like, for example having many attributes.
>> For the example with shapes, if you need to have a different base class
>> for each possible shape, you simply can add an Class attribute in the enum :
>> BALLS(0, "Balls", BallsBaseClass) and define a method getBaseClass() as a
>> simple getter.
>>

> Careful on  that -- no class references outside their package, remember!
> But that's great, otherwise. I can think of all sorts of uses for Enum.

Ok, I forgot that. But you can store the class name only, and let
getBaseClass() retrieve the class itself when called.

>> Or for the example with axes mode, I see that in some classes you use a
>> "switch (axesMode)" to choose a script command depending on the axesMode
>> value : it could be replaced by adding this script command directly in the
>> Enum and completely getting rid of the switch command.
>>

> Yes, very interesting.
>

>> I probably won't be able to work on Jmol in the next few days (lot of work
>> and going abroad saturday for work for several weeks), so feel free to make
>> changes, it won't collide with things I would do.
>>

> We need to coordinate with Jonathan. I'd prefer if you at least did the
> main changes. You have to do the changes manually, right? So something like
> SHAPES will be quite the overhaul. I want to be on vacation when you  do
> that! :)

Yes, SHAPES can be a big change all over the code, and most of the changes
are manual :(
No problem for doing the main changes, I just don't know when I will have
time (I will see monday what is rhythm of work for my mission abroad, but I
fear that I will have to work a lot...)

Nico