Thomas Stout wrote:

> Has anyone ever made selections using more than one variable
> simultaneously?  I'm referring to something like:
>

> select {((resno=xres) and :{x[i]} )};    // this is meant to make a
> selection based on separate algorithmic
>                                                      //
> identifications of desired residue number and chain....

The ":" designation for a chain is very specific. It needs a chain
descriptor. Right now there is no way to test for chain descriptors (one
could imagine, perhaps, "and chain='A'" for example, but that is not
available.

However, there is a simple way to do ANY complex selection. Simply
create the full select command as a string and then execute it using
script inline. So:

 var x = "select resno=xres and :" + x[i]
 script inline @x

Also, I don't think that @{x[i]} notation will work.  There are a couple
of ways you could do this, though. I would recommend:

select {((resno=xres) and {x[i]} )};

-- Josiah Willard Gibbs, Lecture XXX, Monday, February 5, 1900