Thomas Stout wrote:
> Has anyone ever made selections using more than one variable
> simultaneously?  I'm referring to something like:
>

> select {((resno=xres) and :{x[i]} )};    // this is meant to make a
> selection based on separate algorithmic
>                                                      // identifications of
> desired residue number and chain....
>
> I've tried several different implementations of this:
>
> //within for loop
> ChX = x[i];
> select {(resno=xres) and :[EMAIL PROTECTED];
>
> and
>
> //within for loop
> selection_expression = "*:"+x[i];
> select {(resno=xres) and [EMAIL PROTECTED];

This last version works for me with Jmol 11.5.35. Although I havn't used
a loop but replaced 'x[i]' by ChX  (the outer braces made no difference
so I removed them):

  ChX="R"
  sel="*:"+ChX
  select (resno=xres) and (@sel)

When I observe freezing of the display while for example the console
still responds, there usually was thrown some exception. Have you looked
at the Java console for error messages?

Regards,
Rolf