That sounds like a good explanation, but unfortunately I had the same
problem on both WinXP and linux & I also cleared the FF cache on both
platforms (in addition to re-starting FF and also re-starting the computer
(WinXP).....  I may go back and try it again, but like I said, I'm happily
using the signed Applet now....

-Tom

PS - No, I did NOT clear the java cache -- I have no idea how to do that
under linux!!