On Tue, Jun 02, 2009 at 12:43:34PM +0200, Egon Willighagen wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 1:15 AM, Brian Salter-Duke <b_d...@bigpond.net.au>
> wrote:
> > On quality, I think that is a different and general concern. We try to
> > not use poor quality images, so we would try to use only good quality
> > Jmol data files. I am happy that we restrict the type of jmol files to a
> > small number, perhaps initially only *.pdb files. Of course we would
> > have to add file extensions for jmol files to the upload process anyway,
> > so we would not need to add all possible file extensions.
>
> PDB is not a good format for small molecules; CML would be much
> better, e.g. by allowing embedding of important information regarding
> identification of the structure, or adding info on who added that
> image. Please be specific when you suggest file formats: there are two
> main areas of interest here: protein (PDB is the de facto standard),
> small molecules. In both cases, there are many alternative, and PDB as
> format has, at least, lesser quality than other offerings.
>
> I also really don't get the security concerns brought up... sorry, for
> dropping in on this, but have been involved in talk several years ago
> too, and if you want Jmol without JavaScript, that is no problem.
> JavaScript as security problem regarding a Jmol extension for WP is a
> non-issue. People have been using plain HTML for embedding Jmol in
> various website for more than 10 years, and I have no clue why this
> would not be a problem for WP.
>
> Please explain.

I do not get the security concerns either, but Tim Starling was very
concerned a couple of years ago. I e-mailed him 2 weeks ago and he has
not replied. I suspect that the WMF techs have put Jmol into the too
hard basket. Also, much as I would love to have Jmol on WP, I do not see
a lot of support. I raised it in two places on the English WP. The
response was rather thin. See these two discussions:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:WikiProject_Chemistry#Jmol_on_wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:Using_Jmol_to_display_molecular_models#Is_this_the_time.3F

I am really not sure where we take it now. It just is not getting
anywhere. Maybe the wikimedia technical email list is worth a try. What
do you think?

Brian.

--
On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr.
Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers