OK.   I tried the following script after killing Firefox, clearing all caches,
restarting Firefox.  This is on my local machine using the http:// 192.....
approach to launching.

        <script src = "../jmol/Jmol.js" type = "text/javascript"></script>
        <script type = "text/javascript">
        jmolInitialize("../jmol","JmolApplet.jar");
        var script = 'load "Structures/molecule4.pdb"';
        jmolApplet([500,500],script);
        alert("waiting");
        var script2 = 'load "Structures/chlorophyll.pdb"';
        jmolScript(script2);
        </script>

The idea was to load one molecule, pause for the alert, then load the second.
It works as advertised in Safari, as long as the alert is present.  When
commented out, you end up with molecule4 sometimes and chlorophyll others.   it
is clear that the alert is appearing before the molecule is loaded.  But when
the alert is present, you can always get the chlorophyll to load.

Now in Firefox on the mac:  I get the first molecule loaded and the alert
present.  However, when I dismiss the alert, I get the permissions error again.
 Timing issue?  Both structures come from the same directory.  Path issue?

Camino, another Mozilla browser, does not fare well at all.  The alert appears
before the applet even begins to load and it never loads.  When I dismiss the
alert, I get the permission message for chlorophyll.  Timing??

Having said all of that -- the script works beautifully in Firefox on the PC.
Mac centric problem??

This sounds more confusing than my aging brain can handle:-)

On Jul 21, 2010, at 3:40 PM, Angel Herráez wrote:

> Phil, your test page in my Firefox WinXP:
> first time: empty applet, no errors
> reload: model displays OK
>
> I read this as timing problem: the page tries to load the model before the
> applet has finished
> downloading. Second time it is cached, so it works.  And no Java errors
> anytime.
>
> Your problem: you see my page OK, not yours. To me, that's a cache problem.
> I've had
> nightmares with that a few times. You have to kill the browser and smash it
> dead until it
> decides to reload the applet ;-)
>
> And for these tests, avoid using jmolApplet() + jmolScript(). Put the load
> script into the applet
> call. Just to avoid confusion.
>

> Otis' finding with IE is intriguing... let me see..
> my IE8 WinXP:  blank page, javascript error.  Doesn't like something in
> Jmol.js  -something
> to investigate, but unrelated

J. Philip Bays
Professor of Chemistry