How are you launching the browser?  Are you typing "firefox" on a command
line or clicking on a toolbar icon?

I have run into situations where there is more than one version of the
browser installed on my CentOS machine (aka, RHEL) and the two methods point
to different installations.  Firefox linux installers seem to like to not
overwrite prior versions, but install "next to" the older one.  Then you end
up with multiple installations with each successive update & all the
customizations (like the jre soft link) need to be re-applied to the newest
version installation.  *In my experience, I have found that anything added
to ~/.mozilla is ignored.*  I don't know why that is the case, but I need to
put plugins/extensions/etc into the system installation directory, which is
currently: /usr/lib/firefox-3.6.3/plugins/

On the command line, try "which firefox" to see what that is launching**,
and if you have a menu bar icon, right-clicking on it should give an option
for "Properties".  The better fix would be to de-install any version other
than the one you actually want to use.

I've been around this circle more than once!
-Tom

** This is tricky, actually, because what will be returned will be a path to
a script like /usr/bin/firefox.  You then need to parse this file to see
what is actually being called.  "more /usr/bin/firefox" will return
something like:

MOZ_ARCH=$(uname -m)
case $MOZ_ARCH in
        x86_64 | s390x | sparc64)
                MOZ_LIB_DIR="/usr/lib64"
                SECONDARY_LIB_DIR="/usr/lib"
                ;;
        * )
                MOZ_LIB_DIR="/usr/lib"
                SECONDARY_LIB_DIR="/usr/lib64"
                ;;
esac

if [ ! -x $MOZ_LIB_DIR/firefox-3.6.3/firefox ]; then
    if [ ! -x $SECONDARY_LIB_DIR/firefox-3.6.3/firefox ]; then
        echo "Error: $MOZ_LIB_DIR/firefox-3.6.3/firefox not found"
        if [ -d $SECONDARY_LIB_DIR ]; then
            echo "       $SECONDARY_LIB_DIR/firefox-3.6.3/firefox not found"
        fi
        exit 1
    fi
    MOZ_LIB_DIR="$SECONDARY_LIB_DIR"
fi
MOZ_DIST_BIN="$MOZ_LIB_DIR/firefox-3.6.3"


On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 9:04 AM, FyD <[email protected]> wrote:

> Quoting Matthew Betts <[email protected]>:
>
> > Did you enable the plugin with the final step mentioned on the jmol
> wiki?:
> >
> >   open Firefox, select Tools > Addons, and enable the Java plug-in
>
> I cannot because it is not found.
>
> > You may also need to disable the IcedTea plugin (which uses openjdk)
> > from the same menu.
>
> I disabled all the plugins. nothing changed.
>
> >> - should I install jre 1.6.x or 1.5.x from sun ?
> >
> > I installed jre 1.6.x
>
> ok, this is what I did.
>
> >> - should I install jre 32 or 64 bits ?
> >
> > According to http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp, you need the
> > 32 bit version for applet support.
>
> ok, this is what I did.
>
> >> - should I do the symbolic link with /usr/lib/mozilla or
> /usr/lib64/mozilla
> >
> > I'm not sure about that; I made the symbolic link within my home
> > directory, at ~/.mozilla/plugins/ (I'm the main user of my machine and
> > I don't have full root access to be able to put things elsewhere).
> > The ~/.mozilla/ directory should exist for you already but you may
> > have to mkdir ~/.mozilla/plugins
>
> the link is in my login @ ~/.mozilla/plugins as well & the plugins is
> not found...
>
> do you use firefox 32 bits or 64 bits ?
>
> thanks, regards, Francois
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> This SF.net email is sponsored by Sprint
> What will you do first with EVO, the first 4G phone?
> Visit sprint.com/first -- http://p.sf.net/sfu/sprint-com-first
> _______________________________________________
> Jmol-users mailing list
> [email protected]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/jmol-users
>
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by Sprint
What will you do first with EVO, the first 4G phone?
Visit sprint.com/first -- http://p.sf.net/sfu/sprint-com-first
_______________________________________________
Jmol-users mailing list
[email protected]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/jmol-users

Reply via email to