On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 3:18 PM, Paul Pillot <
paul.pil...@ac-orleans-tours.fr> wrote:

> So many improvements, it's hard to keep pace.
>
> I've just (re)tried with an iPad and found out that gestures now work :
> pinch to zoom, two fingers for a translation.
> There is even a support for picking measurements through double tap.
> This is fabulous !

Just snuck those in this morning. :)

> Measurements are tricky : it's difficult to know if an atom has been
> properly clicked on as there is no possibility to hover on a touch
> interface.

Double-click drag does translation, but we could set it up so that
double-click drag on a platform with gestures instead does the measuring.

> I don't know how zoom works : it appears that when a pinch or pinch out
> has been initiated, as long as both fingers are kept on the screen, the
> zooming is still processing (there might be a delay due to the refresh
> rate, but at least it gave me that impression). I assumed that instead the
> scaling would follow the tips of my fingers (that is, if I have both
> fingers on two atoms and I pinch, the molecule would be "shrinked" until
> the two atoms fit between my fingers). Does it make sense ?

It should be that you don't have to know how zoom works. You just do it. :)

It just does a centered zoom, just a standard zoom. I don't think we want
to make it more complicated than that, do we? But I see what you are
saying. Maybe move the zoom point to the center of the  two touches, do the
zoom, and move it back. Possible.

> -Paul

Larson-Anderson Professor of Chemistry
Chair, Chemistry Department

-- Josiah Willard Gibbs, Lecture XXX, Monday, February 5, 1900