Pschemak,

Regarding your "show image when printing" question:

1.- My Firefox does print the contents of JSmol correctly.

2.- WIth HTML5-JSmol you can easily use the "cover image" option. Then, to
have that being printed in the place of the Jmol object you can use these
CSS rules:

@media print {
    div[id$='_coverdiv'] { display:block !important; }
    div[id$='_appletdiv'] { display:none !important; }
}

That will not affect the screen display, just the printing.

As far as I can see, if you choose the Java variety of Jmol the cover image is
not used, so this solution does not work. You would need to introdcue a
similar one manually.
Bob, is there a chance to use cover image also with Java, or is it not possible
due to the way applets are displayed by browsers? At least for the print
option, I think it could work if we had the coverimage div behind the applet.