I think its admirable that more and more Jews are finally speaking out about
what the current Israeli government is doing to the Palestinians.   They must
have a homeland and must be returned some of the territory that was taken
from them by the Israelis.   Laurent's arguments are those of an old style
Zionist who is using Biblical doctrine to justify the Israeli's territorial
conquest.   Zionists  are religious fundamentalists who believe it is their
right to take back a land that was "promised"  to them by God.  "The promised
land" was already an occupied territory when the Jews arrived from Egypt
according to their own scripture.  I have heard many Israelis and
Palestinians argue about who the land belongs to based on their religious
beliefs or questionable histories of tribal disputes from thousands of years
ago.

As an atheist, I find these arguments particularly stupid.   The Hebrew Bible
is nothing more than the collected myths of one people.  Their myths are no
more true than those of the Greeks, the Japanese, the Chinese, the Indians
etc., all of whom worship very different gods and have different creation
myths.  What all cultures have had in common is the mistaken notion that they
are a special people whose god(s) created them and set them in the middle of
the world and sanctified them as a chosen people.

The actual history of the Middle East is poorly represented in the Bible.  As
an example, there is no evidence that Moses ever existed in the very solid
records of the Egyptians.  The Moses myth was borrowed from the oral
traditions of other tribes in the region.   The festival of Passover has been
a beautiful metaphor for modern persecuted Jews to celebrate the possibility
of living in freedom, but it has no factual basis (and was orignally a pagan
festival that celebrated the first barley of the Spring).  The tribes which
came to be known as the Hebiru (Hebrews) in Egypt were migrants who were
attracted to Egypt as an economic center.   They were never enslaved to build
the Pharaoh's monuments, they were told to leave when they became too
numerous and powerful.  When they did leave, they brought with them an
Egyptian notion as furthered by one of the pharaohs, the idea of one god.
The idea of one god was a practical one for a wandering tribe as "he" could
inhabit an empty tabernacle as they wandered.   If there was ever anyone who
was a Moses, he was an Egyptian who left with the expelled tribes and was
recast as one of them with the legend of his adoption by the pharaoh as an
infant.

That was all thousands of years ago.  The Biblical Philistines are based on
the people we know today as Palestinians.  They were not the first people to
settle the lands either,  but they were there before the Jews.  If the
Israelis and Palestinians want to be completely honest and give the land back
to its original inhabitants, they would have to share it as all of them are
quite intermingled.  The Jews and Arabs are cousins and have striking
cultural similarities.  It is only nuances in their religion which originally
divided them.  Muhammad himself sparked the original controversy when he
massacred the Jews of Medina and other places in the attempt to establish
himself as the final prophet.   Religion and its "prophets" can be a very,
very bad thing and should always be mistrusted.

The Palestinians may not have had nationhood for hundreds of years, but
neither have the Israelis.   The Palestinians need a nation of their own so
that they are not any further displaced.   Over one million of them were
forced out of their houses and off of lands they have lived on for centuries
and into an exodus as tragic as that of any persecuted people.  Whether they
were living under the Jordanians, the Ottomans or the British, the
Palestinians were living on their own lands until the Israeli's expelled or
killed them.   I have Israeli friends who will admit that their country
annexed lands which did not belong to them, but they don't want to give them
back since they had been developed.   Well, if it was stolen, it was stolen.

Everyone needs to speak up about this and not fear being labeled an
anti-Semite (which would make you anti-Arab as well since both are Semitic
peoples).  Since I am an atheist, I must admit that I do not honor (but will
always call for toleration of) the religious beliefs of others especially
when those beliefs are a justification for violent acts.  At one point, the
idea was under consideration that the Jews should found a homeland in
Argentina or Mozambique.  That was a much better idea than colonizing Israel.
  I personally think the displaced Jews of the world should have emigrated to
the United States where there story has largely been a successful one.   Can
anyone say that Israel was a good idea after almost 60 years of conflict?
What resort do the Palestinians have other than vioIence?  What horrible
conditions do they live under that are they willing to kill themselves in
suicide bombings?   Israel is divided about this conflict, but they risk
losing world sympathy if concessions are not made.

It is only magical thinking and religious superstition which keep two people
in a violent dispute over a worthless pile of rocks that each has deemed
holy.    Laurent deems the Dome of the Rock as something which should be
insignificant to Muslims, but in its own time, the third temple (built on
what is now the Wailing Wall) was a disputed institution by many Jews who
believed its  rebuilding and the institution of a priesthood was a corruption
of the tenets of Judaism.

Noah never loaded two of all the world's creatures onto a wooden ark.
Mohammed could not move a mountain.  There is no God in heaven on whom we can
rely to guide our action, who is a final authority on how man should live,
who intervenes in our affairs.    Humans must take responsibility for
creating their own morality.

- Clark

NP:  Mahler - 8th Symphony