I know there are a few...OK, *one*...of you out there who are
Gillian Welch fans, so a couple of quick things. We went to see
her and Dave Rawlings at the now-infamous El Rey Theatre in LA
Friday (infamous as the scene of the Kakki-gets-thrown-out-of-
a-Dylan-show-because-she-has-a-camera incident) and they were
AWESOME. The new songs are as good as the old ones, and many move
into new territory (the LA Times described it as the first two
albums having their souls in the '20s and '30s, while the new
one is more '50s). Dave has achieved some sort of guitar god
level - the solos he rips out of that little f-hole (Gibson?)
guitar are monstrous, and he is playing with even more passion
and commitment. A terrific show. Catch them if you can - they're
on Leno Tuesday, and have some Irish and UK dates in October
(are you listening, Mr Castle?)

Consistently, jaw-droppingly good.
Steve Dulson        Costa Mesa CA       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"The Tinker's Own"                      http://www.tinkersown.com
"Southern California Dulcimer Heritage" http://www.scdh.org
"The Living Tradition Concert Series"   http://www.thelivingtradition.org/